Friday, September 14, 2007

The life of a PCT

Hola everyone!

So I´ve been in country for about two weeks now... sorry it took so long to give an update, they keep us really really busy during this first part of service. Its amazing how much has already happened, I feel like I already have about a years worth of Nica under my belt. Anyways, lets start with good old Felix. I only took 3 days on site for me to get my first hurricane scare, luckily thats all it turned out to be. The was a lot of talk about whether we´d be taken to managua or stay in esteli... in the end we stayed on site and waited, then waited some more... eventually everything just passeed by with nothing more than a good rain. It wasnt till later that I herd how big it really was (class 5!), but in case any of you were still wondering we didnt get hit here in Esteli. I did hear that some towns got hit pretty hard on the east coast though, the news said that how crop cycles were washed away, I feel really bad for those effected.

Okay, on to something else, I currently live in a small town just south of Esteli. My host family is wonderful (two kids, soynia y christian, my nica madre ulda and papa fermin). The kids tend to keep me pretty busy any time im not in class or studying, but we have a lot of fun. They all have been really helpful with the whole learning spanish thing (which is coming along faster than i could have imagined). By week 11 Im quite sure I will be ready to hit the campo for my service.

I also already know more about farming than I ever thought I would (glen would be proud). They are teaching me all kinds of ways to productively farm without the use of chemicals that have really hurt the environment and water here in Nica. I have found it extremely interesting how plants can work together to help the overall health of a garden (with natural repellents, fertilizors, and protection). And althought they are one of the biggest enemies to my future gardens... I find leaf cutter ants facinating (until they bite, then they suck).

I was fairly surprised to learn a great deal of my service will deal with youth, but i guess it makes sense... if you want to have a lasting impact you have to look to the youth.

On a slightly less postitive note, ive decided choloquine is the most vile tasting thing on the planet... although its better than getting a horrible case of malaria.

Anyways, sorry if I jumped around a little... Im running out of time here at the cafe before the indepence day festivities start up! hope all is well up north,

steve

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Have fun celebrating your first Nica holiday! It's great to hear that you are settling in. Does your family have any of the "vermin control" we had read about from other volunteers?

lesley said...

Glen certainly would be proud of you. You're going to have a thing or two to teach him when you get back!

Glad you're doing well.

Unknown said...

i'd be happy to send a can or two of raid to keep away those ants.