Saturday, September 22, 2007

Independence Day

I noticed that I took my 4th installment of Chloroquine this week, which means that Ive been in country for a month now! (only 26 more, for those keeping track... haha). Its amazing how time travels in the Peace Corps, two days ago seems like years but I cant believe that its already been an entire month.

Anyways, last weekend was Nicaraguan Independence day. It was really interesting to see how another culture celebrates their independence (although it was pretty similar - just more dancing, less BBQ). We went into Esteli and watched the parade, all the students from the local schools were marching and the drum lines were playing (they were really good). On friday we all watched the "running of the torch", which is a torch that is carried through all of the Central American countries to celebrate together. After it passed we all jumped on my nica-dad's bus and followed the flag for a while, honking and waiving at everyone that had flags out.

After all the Indepence day festivities were finished, all the PCTs hiked up to a waterfall for some swimming (highly recomended) and a sack lunch - which was a great change from class/work routine they have us in here. Later we headed off to an organic farm to learn some more about safe chemicals that can be used when farming that wont harm the environment or the community's health. And finally, I learned how to vacinate a chicken! (so much fun) So if anyone has an chickens that are in need of some vaccinations, Im your guy.

Not a whole lot worth mentioning went on this week. I had Spanish class, some more Spanish class, oh... and then some more Spanish. But its good as Im still learning a ton. We dont have any activities planned for this weekend, and I just bought a guitar... so I plan on making good use of the extra time.

Hope all is well in the States!


PS: I was going to put some pictures up this week... but unfortunately I forgot my cords back in my house, so it'll have to wait until next weekend probably.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

So you're an American suburbanite who became a farmer that speaks Spanish and vaccinates animals, while teaching children how to preserve their land for the future. Sounds like something right out of Hemingway. Someday you'll probably be a gentleman farmer in the south of Spain, only leaving your rambling estate to run with the bulls, but for now, keep it real. Represent!

PS I miss your booping.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.